Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Berry Blue.. Jello Frosting

I have been neglecting my blog.. for good reason :) I am getting excited about spring and gardening! And when the garden produces (and even some before) I will have non-stop stuff to blog about. However I have found the will to make something :) I wanted to make something sweet to celebrate Valentine's Day as well as Tripp's 14th birthday. ( I know my oldest baby isn't a baby anymore, he is starting high school) So, I had to experiment with what to make. I bought Cherry chip cake mix (by Betty Crocker) and whipped up some cupcakes, some mini cupcakes. Just so I could make this jello frosting.

I thought it would be fun to have color and flavor. I went with Berry Blue, taste berry-licious and its baby blue. Best part it really isn't hard to make...




Making up the cupcakes.. of course my little helper helped.. Emma













Set out 1 egg white to bring up to room temp while making the cupcakes











Added 2/3 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 egg white and 1 3 oz. package of berry blue jello.. turned the mixer on high.. and poured in 1/2 cup of boiling water. Let the mixer go at it on high for 5 minutes... aaaand...






TADA!... way yummy frosting, super fluffy and light and it holds it's shape! I am in LOVE with this awesome frosting!

The final look...



The Recipe:

3 ounce pkg. of Jello (favorite flavor)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla

Place the above ingredients in a large GLASS OR METAL mixing bowl (OF A STAND MIXER). Turn the mixer on high just as you add ½ cup of boiling water. Whip on high for five minutes.

The site:
http://coleensrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/11/kid-friendly-jello-frosting.html

By: Coleen


Now go experiment with your own flavors.. You all in love with this too.. I am off to make a raspberry cake..

<3  T


**UPDATE**

So, I did make this frosting again this time on a cake. I had soooo much trouble with this one.. mostly cause of my choices :) I thought it would be awesome to make angle food cake and a raspberry frosting on top. Well, mistake #1... I forgot that angel food cake puffs way up when it is cooking and I over filled the 2 cake pans I was using, needless to say but I will say it anyways.. I had a messy oven rack. #2 Although this is a fantastic frosting.. it does NOT do well left out over night. This first night we had some of the cake it was like eating a cake version of cotton candy.. VERY light and airy the cake matched with this frosting is super.. ONLY on the first day..haha... the frosting once it had set was so sticky and stiff it was almost like fluffy cake topped with and somewhat softer laffy taffy.. that is the only way I could describe it.. Here is a picture of how it looked...

Now your turn to try and give feed back!

<3 T

No comments:

Post a Comment