Monday, February 4, 2013

Spiced Pineapple Cupcakes with Almond Ginger Icing

That's a pretty snazzy title for something so very easy! I have seen a recipe floating around Pinterest for a while now. So, I did what I like to do best.. I modified it. The original recipe only calls for 2 ingredients.. Angle food cake and 1 20 oz can of pineapple.. Well, obviously I did not have angel food cake, but I did have a spice cake mix!

Now, back ground on why I was inspired to bake.. This weekend was super bowl weekend and we were invited to hang out with some pretty fantastic people (brother and sister-in-law). They were covering the main spread (and it was super tasty!) so I thought... "can I bring something sweet?!?!" Ok, who turns down sweets.. like... NO BODY! Also, since it is Tripp and Aunt Ev's birthday month.. I had to take her a birthday goody! This seemed perfect and the icing I could make orange her FAVE color!


My super easy version:

1 box spice cake mix
1 20 oz can crushed pineapple
2 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
1 large egg


I mixed it all together.. Now I added the egg only cause I was worried that it wouldn't be wet enough and not rise. But this is on the baker I do believe. Mine came out super moist and some even feel apart when peeling the cupcake wrapper off. Bottom line you can omit the egg.. you do not have to use it.

The Icing:
I found a recipe for Magnolia's Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. I did mainly stick with the recipe. However, you can expect me to make some modifications...


My Frosting/ Icing:

2 sticks of butter, soften
1/2 cup of whole milk
6 cups on powder sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp of ground ginger

In my mind I wanted the icing to be vibrant orange.. how ever the more color I added the same it stayed... I got a pastel orange but hey it was at least orange!

Now, I whipped up the frosting in the 20 minutes the first batch of cupcakes were in the oven. I let those cool while the second dozen cupcakes went in the oven. I then iced the tops of the cooled cupcakes, and it still need something. some sort of "decoration".. Well, I had a mango that needed to be used.. why not cut it up for the family to snack on leaving myself 24 pieces to place on top of the icing...


The Recipe:


Pineapple Angel Food Cake
Ingredients
1 package Angel Food Cake Mix
1 20 ounce can of crushed pineapple

Directions
Combine Angel Food Cake Mix and crushed pineapple in a Mixing Bowl by hand. Make sure and mix thoroughly so everything is combined

Pour into a 13 x 9 Baking Pan
Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees
Keep an eye out for cake mix and pineapple coupons to help save on the cost of this recipe!
The site:
http://www.tammileetips.com/2013/01/pineapple-angel-food-cake-2/
By: Tammilee
The Recipe:
Magnolia's Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 6 to 8 cups confectioners’ sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 cups of the sugar and then the milk and vanilla. On the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat until smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition (about 2 minutes), until the icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency. You may not need to add all of the sugar. If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix thoroughly. (Use and store the icing at room temperature because icing will set if chilled.) Icing can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

    The Site:
    http://www.recipelink.com/cookbooks/2005/0743246616_4.html

    By: Magnolia (http://www.magnoliabakery.com/)


    Now, stop drooling over what I created and go be creative.. make something and drool with pride over what YOU created!

    <3 T


    No comments:

    Post a Comment