Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Oven Roasted Pumpkin Seeds.. yumminess

Ok it is defiantly that time of year... PUMPKIN season!! Since it is Halloween and we did carve pumpkins.. couldn't let the seeds just waist away! The hunt began.. I went on a search for pumpkin roasting recipes. Well I found 2.. a sweet aaaaand a savory!!

First the Savory...

Fiery Pumpkin Seeds

So in this recipe called for Cumin for which I did not have, so I improvised... no cumin add the next best "smoky" flavor you have.. for me that was paprika. I add a 1/2 teaspoon of paprika and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic. I can not tell you enough how great it tastes!! Even Jeremy who says he hasn't had roasted pumpkin seeds liked it.. score one for me :)


The Recipe:

  • Prep: 5 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
  • Yield: 4 Servings
54550

Ingredients

  • 1 cup fresh pumpkin seeds
  • 2 teaspoons Louisiana-style hot sauce
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

  • In a small bowl, toss the pumpkin seeds with hot sauce. Combine the chili powder, salt, cumin, cayenne and pepper; sprinkle over seeds and toss to coat. Spread into a greased foil-lined 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
  • Bake, uncovered, at 250° for 45-50 minutes or until seeds are lightly browned and dry, stirring occasionally. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 1 cup.

The link.....




Next I did the sweet

Candied Pumpkin Seeds:

On this one I did not modify at all.. I followed the recipe to the T. Unfortunately I want to classify this one as a fail... sigh, they taste great, but are suppppper sticky. It was very hard to get them off the pan, even using wax paper. 




  • Prep: 5 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
  • Yield: 4 Servings
54550

Ingredients

  • 1 cup fresh pumpkin seeds
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

  • In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Spread into a greased foil-lined 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
  • Bake, uncovered, at 250° for 45-50 minutes or until seeds are well-glazed, stirring occasionally. Cool completely; break into piece

The site:

Now that I have shared me experience.. go try it yourself, leave comments on how yours turns out!!  

Bake away <3

No comments:

Post a Comment