Friday, November 2, 2012

Garlic Cheese Biscuits- RETRY

RETRY.. at the bottom of the original post...  check it out.. scroll down


Fall is here and it seemed fitting to have some stew, soup.. stoup for supper with some sort of biscuits. So I went on the hunt for a biscuit recipe. Granted being from the south biscuit should come pretty naturally.. well not for me. This would mark only my second attempt at biscuits. Now the first attempt (yes I am going there), wasn't to terrible. I looked through cook book after cook book for a recipe that only had the ingredients I had at the time. I found one but the one I found was more like a dinner cookie then a biscuit. but hey it worked.. even put some honey over the top.. mmm mmm!!

Now for the second attempt. Well I found a website.. via Pinterest that had SEVERAL different biscuit recipes. I scrolled through til I found one that sounded good. Garlic Cheese biscuits to go with Three meat Stoup! The stoup was ready to go.. biscuits mixed up following the exact recipe. (I know!! I didn't modify it!) preheated the oven to 450 degrees. Put the delicious smelling babies in the oven.. 12 minutes later this is what we got..  Drum roll please...


Do you see it?!?! They look pretty good right.. only it was still a little doughy.. sadly either the temp was wrong or .. hmmm I don't know what else. The out side of the biscuit.. perfection . even got almost dark brown on the bottom.. not black meaning burnt but brown.. some of the peaks on the biscuit were browned real well.. but the middle not thoroughly cook... hmmm ideas?!?!

The finished dish.. Ta-Da!!!


The Recipe:


Garlic Cheese Biscuits
 
These little biscuits just melt in your mouth and go with just about any meal. Slathered with melted butter along with the garlic and cheese, they can’t be beat.
2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 1/4 cups buttermilk (could use regular milk)
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
 
Place flour in large bowl.  Cut in shortening until crumbs are the size of peas. Add garlic and sugar.  Stir in cheese and milk.  You can do these as drop biscuits using a tablespoon of batter and dropping onto sprayed baking sheet or you can shape them with your hands and make a larger biscuit.  I did some of both with this batch just to show you.  Bake in preheated 450 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes.  Brush tops with the melted butter.

The Website:
http://thesouthernladycooks.com/2011/09/02/nothing-says-southern-like-a-biscuit/

By:
The Southern Lady.. Judy

Now go bake something.....
<3 Tina

RETRY!!....

So after failing miserably at this first attempt, ok not miserably it was still edible, I decided to try it again maybe using another recipe. So, I did! This time I found one made by Paula Deen.. Mrs. Queen of the south her self. and this time it was right! No doughy in the middle any more!


This batter even looked more like a biscuit dough. Super simple too. Only thing I did do differently, I did not have buttermilk so I simply used whole milk. Still came out good but I am sure with buttermilk it would have been over the top amazing!







This time I took melted butter (like this recipe called for) and then sprinkled a salt, garlic and parsley on the top of these babies!







Perfection! Well maybe not but dang.. they were good and gone by the time dinner ended!





The Recipe:

Ingredients

1 cup buttermilk
1/4   stick butter, melted
3/4 cup grated sharp Cheddar
1/3 cup shortening
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cup self-rising flour

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt together using a fork; cut in shortening until it resembles cornmeal. Add cheese. Stir in buttermilk all at 1 time just until blended. Do not over stir. Drop by tablespoonfuls, or use an ice cream scoop, onto a well greased baking sheet. Brush dough with melted butter. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
The site:
http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/cheese_biscuits/
By: Mrs. Paula Deen!
Try these out for yourself!

<3  T

No comments:

Post a Comment