Thursday, November 29, 2012

Rhubarb Compote

I know how much Jeremy really enjoys rhubarb, so I went on a search for a recipe. My sister-in-law-to-be had some rhubarb she was willing to share with us, yay!!! <3 At first I went looking for rhubarb custard. Just custard not a pie or a cake.. just custard and I wasn't finding anything.. So, I broadened my horizons too see what else was out there that sounded good. I found a simple recipe for Rhubarb Compote and well did my own modifications like always.

So the package E gave me of rhubarb was 10 cups fresh rhubarb. She had froze the bag so I sat it out to thaw. Once thawed the rhubarb had already released its juices and was not about 1/2 to 2/3 cup liquid and 3 1/2 cup rhubarb.. WOW! I put that into a 3 quart pot, added 1 1/4 cups of sugar to the pot and stirred. I let the mix rest for about 5 minutes to let the juice and sugar could get to know each other a little more :)


After letting it sit I turned the burner onto medium high heat and added 1 1/2 tbs cinnamon, 1/2 tbs ginger and 1/2 tbs nutmeg. I brought this mix to a boil and let it boil for about 8 minutes. The original recipe said 5 minutes until the rhubarb is mushy but has chunks. I wanted mine a little more cooked down, almost to a chunky applesauce. Once the mix got to that point i removed this from the heat and added 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and 1/2 tsp almond extract....

Now the rhubarb compote is jarred and ready for some ice cream.. I did taste it (of course...hehehe) before I put the lid on and OhMyGosh (as my niece would say) it is in serious need of some ice cream in a bowl!! :)

My Recipe:

Rhubarb Compote

10 cups Rhubarb, cut into ½ inch pieces
1 1/3  cups Sugar
1 tbs Ground ginger
1 ½ tbs Cinnamon
½ tbs Nutmeg
½ tsp Vanilla extract
½ tsp Almond extract

Put the rhubarb and sugar into a large sauce pan and let it set with no heat for 10 minutes. This allows the rhubarb to release its natural juices. Once you have achieved the amount of liquid you desire, place the pot onto medium high heat and bring the liquid to a boil. Add in ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Let simmer for about 5 minutes or until the rhubarb is broken down to where there are still some lumps, sort of like an applesauce consistency. Turn the heat off. Add in the vanilla and almond extract. Stir the compote well, let it rest for about 5 minutes then put into a mason jar. Seal up (not like canning just put a lid on it) put in your fridge until the time come and you want ice cream with some yummy flavor over the top! Enjoy!

The original recipe:

Rhubarb Compote

Ingredients

  • 1 3/4 pounds rhubarb, ends trimmed, cut crosswise into 3/4-inch pieces (about 6 cups)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 piece (1 inch) fresh peeled ginger, finely grated

Directions

  1. Stir together rhubarb and sugar in a large saucepan (off heat); let stand until rhubarb releases some liquid, about 10 minutes.
  2. Bring rhubarb mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb has broken down but some whole pieces remain, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
  3. Place ginger in a fine-mesh sieve set over a small bowl. Press down firmly with a spoon until juices are released (to yield about 1 teaspoon). Discard solids. Stir ginger juice into rhubarb mixture.
  4. Let sauce cool completely before serving over ice cream, yogurt, or pound cake, or using to make parfaits.


The site:
http://www.marthastewart.com/336492/rhubarb-compote?center=276955&gallery=275393&slide=259029

By: Martha Stewart

Give it a go see what you think :).. I know I will enjoy it.. only now to see if my biggest critic Jeremy likes it ... 

Now go bake!
<3 T

2 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! I shall give it a go....when I have rhubarb :/. Summer time! I have made a Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble in the past. Oh so good! Either Nigella Lawson (wonderful cook!) or Rachael Ray. But Im sure there are tons of recipes out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see a recipe for strawberry rhubarb crumble.. I just didn't have strawberries, and it was late in the evening so I didn't want to run into town.. But yes a strawberry rhubarb something is in our summers future :)

      <3

      Delete