Sunday, April 19, 2015

Granola Cereal


I absolutely fail EVERY time I attempt to make chewy granola bars in the oven. It never fails that the "bars" crumble. Like there is never enough liquid to make them chewy..lol However, it makes super awesome cereal!

As always I have started with a basic run of the mill chewy granola bar recipe. following the step.. almost to a T lol I this time added in coconut oil to add in an extra bit of moisture before mixing into the dry.

Here's what I did (oh and be proud, lol, I actually wrote down all I did!


I started off with 3/4 cup of Brown Sugar and  3/4 cup of Maple Syrup in a medium sauce pan over medium heat, until the sugar dissolves into the syrup..


I then added in 1/4 cup coconut oil, just because the amount of liquid there just didn't look like nearly enough! (and it still wasn't enough for chewy granola bars, lol)

While all of that was melding together...


I mixed together 6 cup of quick oats and 2 cups rice cereal..


Then added 3/4 cup of dried (or dehydrated) berries (or fruit) and 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips..


Once the coconut oil melted in the best that it could, I let the mix sit for about 5-8 minutes to cool. Once cooled..


I poured the cooled, yet still warm, liquid into the center of the oat/berry mix...


Mixed it all together, trying to make sure that every dry piece was in the liquid. yet some how knowing there just wasn't enough. I figured it would be okay, I would just crumble it into cereal.
While I let that sit to absorb every bit of liquid possible...


I don't have a cooking sheet with a 1 inch lip on it I decided to use my 13 x 9 cake pan lined with foil and sprayed with butter non stick spray...


I poured all the oat, berry, syrup yummy mixture into the baking sheet...


Using a piece of wax paper I pressed the granola into the baking pan..


I drizzled maple syrup over the top of the entire pan then sprinkled finely chopped hazelnuts over the top...

Now, I had to walk away right as I took this out of the oven (at about 30 minutes, and starting to turn golden) due to a phone call from the school!  No big shock, I have so many in one school I talk to someone at that school at least once a day :). This time Aidan (9) sprained his ankle in P.E... sigh..

SO obviously I wouldn't have told you the story about the granola if it was not destined to fail yet again, due to lack of moisture! lol but as predicted it made a blog worthy granola cereal that the kids really enjoyed! And it for ONCE filled them up!

 Granola Cereal:
By: Tina Nordlund

3/4 cup Brown Sugar
3/4 cup Maple Syrup
1/4 cup Coconut Oil
6 cups Quick Oats
2 cups Rice Cereal
3/4 cup Dried Berries
1/2 cup Mini Chocolate Chips

Topping:
Maple Syrup to drizzle over the top (about 1/4 cup)
about 2 tbs Finely Chopped Hazelnuts

Dissolve brown sugar into maple syrup over medium heat. once combined add 1/4 cup coconut oil, let melt together (stirring often). Mixed oats, rice cereal, dried berries and chips together in a heat safe bowl. Once the sugar, syrup and oil mix has combined, remove from heat. Let liquid cool for about 5-8 minutes. Once cooled, pour the liquid into the dry ingredients. Mix well. Let stand about 5 minutes. Grease a cooking sheet with 1 inch lip (or side). pour the granola mix on to the sheet and press down with wax paper. Place in 300 degree over for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and let cool completely. Once completely cooled crumble into an air tight container. Enjoy with some milk for breakfast!

Enjoy and share with your circle of mom's for a healthy breakfast!

KID APPROVED!!!



(Gage is not a "morning person")

get in your kitchen and be creative!

<3  T

Simply Always, Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment