Friday, December 14, 2012

Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge

I love being ambitious, I dis-like being motivated to do the project right then and there!! :) This usually how experiments in my cooking happens. SO.... I decided I wanted to make fudge. I figured I had the right ingredients and it shouldn't be too hard. I went on the hunt for a fudge recipe, even going as far as to tweet Bon Appetite and ask them what their favorite fudge recipe was!

They did give me a link to one of theirs with walnuts in them.. sadly I had almost none of the ingredients.. sigh! So back to go ol' Pinterest and searched for simple fudge. I found a pin for one of Martha Stewart's Easy Chocolate Fudge with Pretzels. Well right off the bat.. I didn't have pretzels.. does a fudge really have to have a topping?!?! After reading the rest of the ingredients I had everything else except the vanilla extract, but I had almond extract..  :) why not!


My lovely assistant was ready to help with her strawberry shortcake apron she got for her birthday! Sadly I couldn't convince her to keep the chefs hat on, It was a complete package!






So Emma and I chopped and measured chocolate bark.. Oh yeah, I didn't have enough chocolate chips for the recipe.. hahaha.. See what I mean by experiments!




Portioned out between two pots (I also made Caramel Chocolate Fudge.. shhh.. that comes later!)







We ended up with enough chocolate minus 1/2 for two fudge recipes! ok.. the particular fudge I added 1/2 cup of peanut butter chips. The rest of the ingredients followed the recipe in measurements but use almond extract instead of vanilla extract, regular salt not fine and no pretzels.

The other "mistake" (yes, I am by no means perfect!) the original recipe said to use a double boiler, you know when you put water in the pot, a heat safe bowl on top of the pot with the chocolate mixture in it and slowly melt the mix.. Yeah well this girl didn't read ahead (which you should do when baking and cooking) and threw all her ingredients in to the pot. I still put in on the stove use very low heat and slowly melted the mix. 





Once the mix has heated thoroughly pour it into a greased 8" square pan, or in my case a 10x5x1 1/2", then lined with parchment paper (or again like me.. sigh.. wax paper). Parchment paper will be the best choice her for the removal of the fudge. 







This is the final result after 3 hours in the fridge.. It was hardened yet still soft and "moldable".. just saying maybe a future idea...







I cut this batch in to squares about 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Lined a cut cookie container with wax paper closed the lid and hid it in the fridge from the sweet bandits in my house! The taste of this alone is enough to send any one of my boys in to sugar bless! The peanut butter chips infused the flavor of the chocolate with out losing much of the chocolate color.. Oh so yummy goodness!! The Caramel Fudge I mention earlier.. sat in the fridge over night and might get formed in to balls and dipped in chocolate.. who knows?!?!?  >:)

The Original Recipe:

Easy Chocolate Fudge with Pretzels

11K
0
0
Everyday Food, July/August 2011
  • YieldMakes 36

Ingredients

  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips (16 ounces)
  • 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon fine salt
  • 2 1/2 cups roughly chopped miniature pretzels

Directions

  1. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides.
  2. Place butter, chocolate chips, condensed milk, vanilla, and salt in a medium heatproof bowl set over (not in) a pot of barely simmering water. Stir occasionally until chocolate just melts and mixture is combined and warm but not hot, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups pretzels. Transfer mixture to pan and smooth top; press 1/2 cup pretzels on top. Refrigerate until set, 2 hours (or up to overnight, wrapped). Using parchment, lift fudge from pan and cut into 36 squares.

Cook's Note

Fudge can be stored in an airtight container, up to 2 weeks.


The Website:

http://www.marthastewart.com/852402/easy-chocolate-fudge-pretzels?czone=food/christmas-candy-cnt/candy-recipes&center=0&gallery=276329&slide=852402

By: Martha Stewart


Stop it.. stop licking your lips and go make some for yourself!

<3 T


No comments:

Post a Comment